Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Ash Wednesday

I don't know why, but I always look forward to this time of year. Perhaps it's because I still remember that pride I felt, when I was a little girl, bearing the mark of Christ on my forehead for all to see. It could also be that it is because it's such a powerful symbol; one both visual and tactile. But most likely it is due to the fact that it is the herald to our most richly symbolic and beautiful seasons: the 40 days of Lent. 

Lent has always appealed to me, probably because I'm such an introvert and any season that focuses on introspection and inner development I will find naturally attractive. This year I've felt the spirit moving me to a much deeper internal expression of my commitment to prayer and spiritual growth. I've added a day of fasting combined with adoration to aid me in this. And who knows, maybe, God willing, I'll be able to permanently keep this up! All I know is the deep, strong current of the season of Lent is once again inspiring me to take another step further into the desert of my limitations, and to rediscover the thirst; the thirst that can only be quenched by the purifying, Living Water of our Lord.      

No comments: